Calypso’s Into Earth Witch Soup
Once upon a time I read the first of Christine Feehan’s Carpathian novels (I have yet to read the rest…library soon??) ~ anywho ~ this soup reminded me of that book. The carpathian vamps return to the Earth (beneath the soil) every so often to heal, recharge, and gather power. I was rather sick all week, so I concocted a soup plan haha. It turned out well!
Can easily be made vegan using veggie broth.
- 5 or 6 organic carrots
- One Vidalia onion (could def add shallots!)
- Half head of purple cabbage
- 6 or 7 red potatoes, halved
- 13 medium cloves of garlic, chopped (those on the smaller side can go in whole)
- 2 fingers of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- Handful fresh oregano
- Handful fresh sage
- 13ish large white (portabella) mushrooms, halved
- 2.5 TBSP beef bouillon
- Red pepper flakes, salt, Rosemary to taste
Fill soup pot halfway with water, turn burner to high. Add garlic and ginger as soon as water starts simmering…after 5-10 minutes add fresh herbs. Wait a few minutes before adding onions and bouillon – wait for broth to come to boil, then add your peeled and chopped carrots. Stir, taste, adjust …Add mushrooms. Wait a couple minutes before adding cabbage. Cover, turn burner to medium and let simmer for 10 minutes.
**I suggest adding shallots, morels, merlot, and potatoes for a more bodied soup. In addition, onions & garlic could be browned in butter prior to making soup. Bone broth would be IDEAL.**